new
manufacturers
installations
collection
restorations
timeline
identification
publications
glossary
mailing list
site map
links
about
contact

bleeco

The Brighton Lighting and Electrical Engineering Co. Limited
St. Martin's Place
Brighton
England


BLEECO E66 column and BLEECO Worthing bracket perfectly painted
yellow overnight by unknown person as a joke! (It was student rag week.)
Patcham, Brighton, East Sussex.
© Gary Circa 1984


In 1937, the firm have teamed up with Philips to demonstate fittings using the new 150W SO/H lamp. They also provide an installation service for the APLE's exhibition in Foklestone the same year which includes their Hove pattern lantern. - APLE Conference Programme 1937


By 1939, they have their own exhibition. Three different types of lanterns have been installed in Glasgow (for the conference) including the Box Pattern Lantern, the Prismatic Panel Lantern and an un-named cut-off lantern. - APLE Conference Programme 1939


In 1945, the firm are rebuilding and expanding after making munitions during the war. The firm are now manufacturers and erectors of Street Lighting equipment, including lanterns, swan-neck brackets, extension arms with pole clamps, lamp standards, illuminated pillars, traffic diversion and island signs and fuse switch and control systems. Mercury and sodium lanterns are also available and special thought is given to simple forms of lighting for Group "B" thoroughfares. An Illuminating Engineering Department is also founded to survey and make recommendations for any public lighting scheme. It is mentioned that the firm have 23 year's experience which suggests the firm started producing street lighting fixtures in 1922.- APLE Conference Programme 1945


The newly redesigned Triplite and newly introduced P.J. Multilite are introduced in 1946. - APLE Conference Programme 1946


The firm introduce the Bi-Flector lantern which is designed to burn a horizontal Philora lamp. The lantern employes a novel double reflecting optical system above and below the lamp, which is arranged to give a two-way non-axial distribution distribution. Fitted above the lamp are two specially shaped reflectors of glass, or anodised aluminium to form the main beams; boew is a gable of inverted "V" section of clear polished glass, to reflect by "first surface reflection" some light along the street and the rest by being transmitted downwards to illuminate the immediate neighbourhood. The Bi-Flector is probably the early name for the W Lantern. - APLE Conference Programme 1947


The W Lantern, Streamline (designed to harmonise with modern concrete columns and brackets), P.J. Multilite Cut-Off, Sodium Cut-Off and Triplite lanterns are all being pushed heavily by the firm. - APLE Conference Programme 1948


By 1949, the emphasis is still on the W Lantern and Streamline lanterns, whilst the Brighton Junior receives its first mention, and the firm are keen to show off their new 3LT Fluorescent Lantern - APLE Conference Programme 1949


Their work with fluorescent continues in 1950 with the introduction of the 704 for two or four 40W fluorescent lamps, a five foot horizontal fluorescent lantern and a standard fluorescent lantern. - APLE Conference Programme 1950


The APLE Conference is in Brighton in 1951 and the firm are keen to show of their local installations. Of particular interest and during the last five years at the instigation of the APLE President, Mr. Pryce-Jones, the lighting engineer of Brighton, it is noted that Brighton has introduced "cut-off" lighting for main roads. It is claimed that this is for the increasing safety and satisfaction of the road using traffic both pedestrian and vehicular. The three mile stretch of the London-Brighton road which is lit by Multilite Cut-Off lanterns are noted in particular.- APLE Conference Programme 1951


A new series of cut-off lanterns for sodium and mercury lamps are introduced in 1952 but the firm doesn't give any more details. They are also keep to advertise their new flashing beacons for Zebra Crossings. - APLE Conference Programme 1952


The firm take a huge leap forward and introduce a whole range of new enclosed lanterns which employ aluminium canopies and perspex refractor bowls. This moves them away from their foundry origins and total reliance on Holophane refractors. The new lanterns include the 704C (for Crawley New Town), the 608 sodium lantern and the 628 mercury lantern. - APLE Conference Programme 1953


References:
APLE Conference Programme Folkestone 1937
APLE Conference Programme Bournemouth 1938
APLE Conference Programme Glasgow 1939
APLE Conference Programme Glasgow 1945
APLE Conference Programme London 1946
APLE Conference Programme Southport 1947
APLE Conference Programme Eastbourne 1948
APLE Conference Programme Llandudno 1949
APLE Conference Programme Bournemouth 1950
APLE Conference Programme Brighton 1951
APLE Conference Programme Harrogate 1952
APLE Conference Programme Liverpool 1953