new
manufacturers
installations
collection
restorations
timeline
identification
publications
glossary
mailing list
site map
links
about
contact

Parkinson

Parkinson
W. Parkinson & Co. Ltd.
Cottage Lane Works, City Road, London
WC1
England
Parkinson (post 1945)
W. Parkinson & Co. Ltd.
Terminal House,
Grosvenor Gardens,
London,
SW1


In 1932, the firm were advertising a wide range of Gas Street lanterns (including square patterns), Conversion Burners (with Nozzles arranged in Cluster and Alignment formations), and the "Mor-lite" Patent Directional Refelctor. The latter was a simple and inexpensive device which could be adapted for any burner. It comprised two highly polished "Staybrite" Steel Wings which could be attached to the burner by an attachment or clip, thus allowing the wings to be adjusted around both horizontal and vertical axis. "Danger" lamps and lamps with Parabolic Reflectors for the illumination of Traffic Signs were also being advertised. - APLE Exhibition Catalogue 1932


The Maxill and Stetchford lamps were both displayed at the APLE's 1936 Conference in Cheltenham. The Maxill was given pride of place with a sectional model displayed to illustrate the patented burner construction. - Public Lighting #3, 1936


The firm mention more than 120 years' service to the Gas Industry, therefore they were founded around 1818. They were exhibiting their Maxill, Maxilla and Warwick lanterns along with controllers and igniters supplied by the Gas Meter Company and Horstmann Gear Company.- Public Lighting #10, 1938 and APLE Conference Programme 1938


The new version of the Maxilla G is being exhibited along with the Brimax Maxilla along with a new lamp called the Maxlume. - APLE Conference Programme 1939


One of several manufacturers who produced the Standard Gas Industry Fitting for converting gas lanterns to comply with war-time starlight conditions. - Public Lighting #17, April 1940.


It is helped with certain modifications that Maxill and Maxilla lanterns will be available for post-war street lighting. Their modern appearance and uniformity in design, coupled with their efficiency and general effectiveness for the illumination of carriageways, should enable them to again enjoy pre-war popularity. - Public Lighting #44, 1944


Post war, the firm are concentrating on uniformity with their Maxill, Maxilla and Maxillette ranges designed to preserve the uniform appearance associated with uniform planning. It appears the lanterns have been redesigned and rationalised. The compactness of these "new" units ensures their durabilty, the number of joints which require profing against rain has been reduced to one, suspension lanterns are all fitted with a concealed safety chain device, fixed nipples and constant pressure governors are included as standard, control devices and reflectors can be easily removed for cleaning, and all components are standard and many are interchangeable throughout the range of lanterns. Finally it is suggested that Maxill is an abbreviation of Maximum Illumination.- APLE Conference Programme 1945


The post-war Maxilla range of Upright and Suspension Lanterns has been especially designed for residential areas and roads for Group 'B' lighting (as per the MOT Final Report). They have a mounting height of 13-15 ft. and are a vast improvement on the pre-war Maxilla lanterns. Standard interchangeable parts have been adopted where possible which has reduced the cost of manufacture and the number of components required as spares. The Suspension Lanterns are all fitted with a concealed safety chain device. Fixed Nipples and constant pressure governors are included as standard fittings. Street lighting effectiveness has been enhanced by the adjustability of the faceted reflectors, which are constructed of aluminium anodised by an improved process, permitting effective distribution of light for variations in the configuration of the road, including bends, gardients and varying road widths. Rectangular sides replace the tapered in order to facilitate easy replacement of five glass panes (sides and base), each being of equal size. The whole of the burner assembly, from nipple to pre-heater, is the same for all sizes of pre-heaters from 2 to 6 light. The standard venturi tubes and fixed nipple are controlled to the size required for the particular size of preheater. The venturi maintains the 7-1 ratio whatever quantity of gas is passed. The Astragels are made as narrow as possible, so that, with the frog sprays twisted to present the smallest surface to the path of light, shadows have been reduced to a minimum. The hoods are stamped in one piece throughout, ensuring resistance to weather and are constructed of copper. Neatly housed and concealed behind the facetted reflectors of the Maxilla Lantern are the ignition device, clock controller and constant pressure governors. The reflectors are supported by a tripod fitted to the venturi and permitting vertical adjustment. The control assembly can be easily removed with Comet igniter, leaving interior of lantern free for cleaning. The fly-cap tighted union at the base of the nipple holder permits this easy removal of the controls, faceted reflector and venturi tube, the latter being "olived" at the top to make a gas-tight push fit connection within the burner supply tube. - APLE Conference Programme 1946


References:
APLE Exhibition Catalogue Blackpool 1932
APLE Conference Programme Bournemouth 1938
APLE Conference Programme Glasgow 1939
APLE Conference Programme Glasgow 1945
APLE Conference Programme London 1946


External Links:
Grace's Guide