new
manufacturers
installations
collection
restorations
timeline
identification
publications
glossary
mailing list
site map
links
about
contact

willey and company limited full range | gas lanterns




cranford
Prototype shown at the APLE Conference in 1945. Introduced in 1945 for post-war Group "B" lighting schemes. Equipped with 2,3 or 4 burner superheaters for either BS.1/No 1 ("Bijou") or BS.2/No 2 ("Medium") mantles. The burner was specially designed for the lamp: it has a high burner output per cubic foot of gas, and stability under wide variations of gas combustion characteristics. Lantern is made of 20 s.w.g. copper, rivitted together, and mounted to either a swan-neck bracket or wall fixing bracket. A polished stainless steel roof reflector can be supplied as an alternative to the vitreous enamelled reflector. A combined constant pressure governor and remote control ignition valve has been fitted to ensure: (1) Uniform lighting at all time; (2) Economy in the use of gas; (3) Prevention of back-firing due to accumulation of air in the swan neck. The unit is designed for use with Newbridge 3A/UNI controllers. Horstmann Comet igniters may be fitted to order in a neat, weatherproof housing.

In 1946, tools have been provided for quick and accurate production of the many parts in the lamp. Many improvements have been embodied in the design: (1) The Clock Controller can be removed from the controller box by unscrewing two set screws; (2) Horstmann Comet Ignitors can now be employed; (3) The combined Constant Pressure Governor and remove control valve are housed in a neat pressed copper box. Access to these devices is easily obtained by unscrewing a knurled nut to remove the cover; (4) The glazing of the lamp can be completed within two minutes using special clips; (5) A new design of burner has been incorporated in which all primary air is drawn from outside the lantern to ensure stable flame conditions. It is a modern, efficient and attractive unit for Group "B" lighting. In construction it is a first-class engineering product, its special features including the use of heavy gauge pressings, all rivetted construction and superheaters specially proofed against corrosion, both internally and externally.

It is a compact lantern with a special arrangement of the control equipment which is housed in the cast box forming the socket which fits on to the top of the column. When employed in the swan neck form this lamp, fitted to normal existing columns, gives a height to light source of 13 ft. to 14 ft. The directive reflectors available for use give a light distribution in accordance with the requirements of the MOT Report.

The lamp is an entirely post-war design, the chief features include: (1) Easy access to and removal of the clockwork controller; (2) A combined constant pressure governor and unit control ignition value maintaining the swan neck full of gas at all times; (3) A special fitting for Horstmann 'Comet' igniters developed in collaboration with the makers; (4) Easy glazing of the lantern; (5) All heavy gauge copper lantern construction; (6) High efficiency burner incorporating primary air induction from outside the lantern; (6) All brass components liable to corrosion from the action of products of combustion are electrolytrically tin-coated; (7) Heat-resisting silvered glass reflectors are available for directional control of the light.

Available either with swan neck for post mounting or as a wall bracket unit. It gives exceptionally good visibility if mounted according to the M.O.T. recommendations. It can be fitted with either by-pass or Horstmann 'Comet' ignition and the governor and 'Comet' device are enclosed in a neat protective caing at the back of the lantern.

Some small improvements were made in 1948: (1) Directional reflectors can be removed and replaced in their correct position more easily; (2) A wind shield to stabilise the air-gas mixture in gusty weather is now being fitted; (3) Toughened glass may now be fitted as an alternative to heat resisting glass in the larger sized units. For promenades and other positions where a more powerful unit is desired, the Twin Lamp Cranford unit has been designed.

Cranford 650-1800 lumens
2-4 burners Post Top / Wall Mount 1945 Advert
1946 Advert
1946 Advert
1946 Advert
1946 Paper
1947 Programme
1947 Advert
1947 Journal
1947 Paper
1947 Advert
1948 Advert
1948 Programme