new
manufacturers
installations
collection
restorations
timeline
identification
publications
glossary
mailing list
site map
links
about
contact

esla

ESLA
The Electric Street Lighing Appartatus Co.
The Foundry
Kent
England


A snapshot of four delegates taken at the APLE's 1936 conference at Cheltenham. The caption reads: "Ald. Cullen, Mr. Harrison, Baillie Norris, Mr. R. M. Harvey." Is the man second from left Lt.-Commander Haydn T. Harrison?


This lighting unit [the Bi-Multi] lends itself readily to the conversion of existing lanterns. For this purpose a slightly modified type is made; this is fitted with four spring supports which are slipped into place in the lantern - The Illuminating Engineer, 1928.

Lt.-Commander Haydn T. Harrison is described as their Advising Engineer in 1932, having designed the well-known Bi-Multi and Multi-plane fittings. Many thousands of the reflectors have been installed throughout the country. Interestingly, it is also stated that the E.S.L.A. Company was the "first manufacturing undertaking to devote itself exclusively to Street Lighting by Electricity" - this may mean that it was the first street lighting manufacturing company to limit itself to electric lanterns. The 25 years actual practice puts the firms foundation back to 1908; Harrison's loose title of Advising Engineer suggests that he provided a consultancy role, which he also undertook at the GEC in the early 1920s. - APLE Exhibition Catalogue 1932


The company exhibited their Bi-Multi fittings at the 1936 APLE Conference in Cheltenham including several of the latest type for mercury and sodium lamps. Other exhibits included special lamp fittings, brackets etc. - Public Lighting #3, 1936


The firm's booth at the 1936 APLE Conference at Cheltenham (on the right).


In 1937, the firm have produced a new horizontal ESLA Bi-Multi reflector for the 150-watt Philora sodium lamp. The optical design "sectionalises" the long light source with the result that the excessively wide lateral light distribution is restricted to more practical limits. Angular designs include those for acute bends and corners, as well as three and four-way types. A smaller version is also being exhibited, this for 100W Philora lamps. New mercury versions of the Bi-Multi are being exhibited, these being fitted with the 400W mercury lamp, and of the patented double tier design. - APLE Conference Programme 1937


The firm stresses it adherence with the new MOT standards including the Bi-Multi and Multiplane lanterns. New products are mentioned but not elaborated upon. - APLE Conference Programme 1938


An installation of the ESLA Group B/3HS Bi-Multi lantern, which is part of the exhibition, is described. - APLE Conference Programme 1939


Resumption of the production of street lighting equipment starts in 1945 but the firm are relying on their existing range and no new designs are on offer. - APLE Conference Programme 1945


By 1946, the firm are still actively pushing their Bi-Multi reflectors and are working on new designs. - APLE Conference Programme 1946


The firm apologise for not attending the Southport Conference in 1947. - APLE Conference Programme 1947


References:
The Illuminating Engineer 1928
APLE Exhibition Catalogue Blackpool 1932
APLE Conference Programme Folkestone 1937
APLE Conference Programme Bournemouth 1938
APLE Conference Programme Glasgow 1939
APLE Conference Programme Glasgow 1945
APLE Conference Programme London 1946
APLE Conference Programme Southport 1947