new
manufacturers
installations
collection
restorations
timeline
identification
publications
glossary
mailing list
site map
links
about
contact

eleco

Engineering and Lighting Equipment Co. Limited
Sphere Works
St. Albans
Herts
England


1950-1960s logo

1970s logo


In 1895, the company were founded as The Gilbert Arc Lamp Company, Chingford, Essex. They supplied the original lighting for the Victoria Embankment. - ELECO Website


In 1920 they changed their name to The Engineering And Lighting Equipment Company. However, later adverts made by the firm suggest that the name was changed in 1905. (Also the provenance of the official website record is slightly in doubt as they suggest the name was the Electric Lighting and Engineering Company.) - ELECO Website


In 1932 the firm were manufacturing Street Lighting Lanterns, ornamental brackets for spigot cap and pole clamp mounting, Contact Gear (used for raising and lowering equipment), Raising and Lowering Equipment, Time Switches (by Acme), heavy duty lampholders and Anti-Vibrator attachments. - APLE Exhibition Catalogue 1932


The firm were exhibiting a range of fittings for mercury and sodium vapour discharge lamps including the Orbital lamp for the first time. - Public Lighting #3, 1936


The firm were showing a range of fittings specially designed for Mercury and Sodium discharge lamps plus a new fitting for use with the 80 and 125 watt quartz high pressure Mercury discharge lamps. They were also exhibiting:

  • Raising and Lowering Gear. Enables the lantern to be lowered and cleaned at ground level, is self-sustaining, the weight of the lantern is not taken by the wire rope, and the lantern is always returned in the same orientation which is necessary for directional lighting.
  • Suburban Street Lighting. A range of fittings suitable for low wattage Merucry and Sodium lamps.
  • Brackets. A range of brackets and boxes designed to accommodate chokes, condensers and time switches, and of the required mounting height to comply with the recommendations of the MOT's Final Report.

Additionally they were showing new lanterns for Mercury and Sodium for the first time. (Perhaps the Vapoura and Golden Ray). The Sunray and Golden Ray were being shown. - Public Lighting #10, 1938 and APLE Conference Programme 1938


Exhibition installations of Goldenray lanterns and Lanark lanterns were planned (the conference didn't take place due to the start of the war.) The firm were also keen to mention their comprehensive range of street lighting fittings and extensive range of brackets and control gear boxes. They could also supply steel and concrete columns and would undertake erection work. - APLE Conference Programme 1939


The advert cites 40 years of experience suggested the firm was founded in 1905. Lanterns described include the Orbital, Hamilton, Golden Ray, Welwyn, Calcutta, Hamilton Junior and Pinnacle. An entirely new design of Raising And Lowering Gear, along with Winches and Control Gear Boxes are being shown. - APLE Conference Programme 1945


In 1968, the firm purchase the Davis Sheet Metal Engineering Company. Davis were one of the original innovators that developed the uniquely British system of cable trunking. - ELECO Website


References:
The Illuminating Engineer 1928
APLE Exhibition Catalogue Blackpool 1932
APLE Conference Programme Folkestone 1937
APLE Conference Programme Bournemouth 1938
APLE Conference Programme Glasgow 1939
APLE Conference Programme Glasgow 1945


External Links:
ELECO (Official Website)
Grace's Guide