new
manufacturers
installations
collection
restorations
timeline
identification
publications
glossary
mailing list
site map
links
about
contact

ediswan

The Edison Swan Electric Company Limited
155 Charing Cross Road
London WC2
England


Introduced the Piccadilly Lantern in 1932 to light Piccadilly Circus; were also advertising the Super-Extensive Unit for the illumination of large areas; the Mersey Tunnel Fitting which was specially designed for the tunnel; and various forms of floodlighting and road signals. - APLE Exhibition Catalogue 1932


They exhibited at the 1936 APLE Conference in Cheltenham. The Northbury Street Lighting Lantern was shown. - Public Lighting #3, 1936


Exhibit and describe the London Major and Stepney lanterns at the APLE's Folkestone conference in 1937. - APLE Conference Programme 1937


An electric lamp museum which will be permanently open to the public has been installed in the premises of the Edison Swan Electric Company Limited by Dr. A.P.M. Fleming, president of the Institute Of Electrical Engineers. It begins with Swan's famous laboratory lamp, exhibited at Newcastle in 1878, and ends with a showcase of artifical flowers and foliage demonstrating the latest application of the principle of fluorescent under ultra-violet light. The neon-sign type of discharge lamp is traced back to 1890, when also the first electric advertising sign was made in the form of a bulb for each letter shaped by the carbon filament. The "Pearl" and "Opal" lamps were also introduced the same year. There are 250 exhits in the museum which includes: the first commercial electric lamp from 1881, the first "pipless" lamp made in 1883, the first electric street lamp produced in 1891, a lamp made in the likeness of Queen Victoria for the Diamond Jubilee, miner's lamps, ships' lamps, railway lamps, gunsigh lamps, and surgical and ophthalmic lamps. - Public Lighting #12, 1939


Published a long running series of industrial reflector catalogue called Reflectors And Illumination Data. Their reflectors are called Industra and about fifty types of industrial unit are detailed. Fluorescent and electric discharge lighting are included. - Public Lighting #13, 1939


The Newland and Cromer lanterns are part of the exhibition at Glasgow in 1939 and are extensively described whilst the London range is also mentioned as the general utility lanterns for vertically burning mercury discharge and gas-filled incandescent lamps. The firm are also exhibiting their new control gear for their Escura (Mercury) and Esodia (Sodium) discharge lamps. - APLE Conference Programme 1939


Will continue to market a selection of their street lighting lanterns which were in popular demand up to the outbreak of the war. They have decided to meet the demand for a side entry lantern and have introduced the Siden. The firm's Research Department have spent a small amount of time during the war looking at street lighting problems and they hope to publish particulars of new fittings soon. These will include lanterns for horizontally burning discharge lamps. - Public Lighting #44, 1944


The exhbit included the London Major, London Medium, London Minor (designed for Escura electric discharge or gas filled lamps) and the Granby and Newland (the later designed to accommodate horizontally burning discharge lamps). - APLE Conference Programme 1945


Several new street lighting lanterns are in development and will be available in 1947. - APLE Conference Programme 1946


The firm was consolidated into AEI Lamps And Lighting in 1956. The old manufacturing name of Ediswan was dropped.


References:
APLE Exhibition Catalogue Blackpool 1932
APLE Conference Programme Folkestone 1937
APLE Conference Programme Glasgow 1939
APLE Conference Programme Glasgow 1945
APLE Conference Programme London 1946


External Links:
Grace's Guide