new
manufacturers
installations
collection
restorations
timeline
identification
publications
glossary
mailing list
site map
links
about
contact

Philips

Philips Lamps Limited
145 Charing Cross Road
London
WC2
Philips Lamps Limited
Century House
Shaftesbury
London
WC2
Philips Electrical Limited
Lighting Department
Century House
Shaftesbury
London
WC2



Philips' stand at the 1936 APLE exhibition.


Founded in 1891. - Public Lighting #31, 1943

They exhibited at the 1936 APLE Conference in Cheltenham. A complete range of Philora sodium lamps were shown: 50W, 70W, 100W and 140W. It is claimed they have an efficiency three to five times that of incandescent lamps and a life of 2,500 hours. Three sizes of Philora mercury lamps were also shown: 150W, 250W and 400W and have a life of 1,500 hours. - Public Lighting #3, 1936


The firm put on a joint exhibition with BLEECO, ELECO, Holopane and Wardle to show off their 150W "Philora" sodium lamp in 1937. - APLE Conference Programme 1937


In 1938, the firm's exhibition is devoted entirely to "Philora" electric discharge lamps. Their stand is arranged in two main sections: one devoted to "Philora" sodium lighting and the other to "Philora" mercury lighting. They both include the auxiliary equipment and examples of the wide range of lanterns developed to use them. - APLE Conference Programme 1938


Published a long running series of booklets called Philips' Technical Review. Produced by the firm's laboratories. The issue published in early 1939 included an important contribution on low-pressure luminescent tubes. - Public Lighting #13, 1939


The firm moves offices from Charing Cross Road to Century House in early 1939. - Public Lighting #14, 1939


Philips describe their past achievements (the development of the sodium discharge lamp and the low wattage mercury lamps with quartz discharge tubes) and direct the delegates to the many other manufacturer displays which use their equipment. - APLE Conference Programme 1939


The firm are concentrating on the Philora discharge lamps and apparatus and their use for public and flood lighting. During the war, many of the discharge lamps were supplied to H. M. Government for vital purposes and to many "key" factories engaged in the war effort. Again, they put on a joint exhibition with REVO, ELECO, ESLA and BLEECO. - APLE Conference Programme 1945


The firm are exhibiting their Mercury and Sodium Discharge Lamps for public lighting use. The six ratings of mercury and fluorescent mercury lamps (250W & 400W MA/V, 80W & 125W MB/V , 80W & 125W MBF/V and 400W MAF/V) and sodium lamps (45W, 60W, 85W and 140W SO/H). Many of the best examples of modern public lighting installations in the country incorporate one or other type of Philips Discharge Lamps. A complete range of efficient lanterns is available from: REVO, ELECO, ESLA and BLEECO. - APLE Conference Programme 1946


Started trading as Philips Electrical Limited. - APLE Conference Programme 1947


"The change of name from Philips Lamps Limited to Philips Electrical Limited implies no change in management or products. The firm are exhibiting their Mercury and Sodium Discharge Lamps for public lighting use. The six ratings of mercury and fluorescent mercury lamps (250W & 400W MA/V, 80W & 125W MB/V , 80W & 125W MBF/V and 400W MAF/V), sodium lamps (45W, 60W, 85W and 140W SO/H) and tubular fluorescent (80W (5 ft.) and 40W. (4 ft.) MCF/U). Ensure good public lightign and low energy consumption. Many of the best examples of modern public lighting incorporate one type or another of Philips Discharge Lamps for which a complete range of efficient lanterns is available from: BLEECO, ESLA, ELECO, REVO and Wardle." - APLE Conference Programme 1947


Are displaying sodium, mercury-fluorescent and fluorescent lamps and apparatus suitable for public lighting. Included is the new Philips Blended lighting lamp which is supplied as 160W and 250W MBT/U. The lamp requires no apparatus (ballast) and can be used to replace lamps in existing tungsten fittings to improve the quantity and quality of the light. Installation pictures include fittings made by: BLEECO, ESLA, ELECO, REVO and Wardle." - APLE Conference Programme 1948



Philips' stand at the 1958 APLE exhibition.


In 1967, Philips Lighting introduce the first ever public lighting competition open to all UK public authorities. Final judging takes place every two years at the A.P.L.E. Conference and Exhibition, when delegates are invited to cast votes for their choice of scheme in three categories: street lighting, public building and works lighting, and public amenity lighting. The final choice is made from nine shortlisted schemes displayed anonymously on the Philips' stand at the Exhibition. Besides awarding trophies and commemorative scrolls as prizes, representatives from all nine finalists are invited on a four-day visit to Europe, courtesy of Philips, to view major lighting schemes. - [Golden Jubilee, Public Lighting, 1974]


In 1971, Philips Lighting provide lighting equipment for the first major catenary lighting schemes on motorway and major trunk roads in the UK. These include: Motorway; M62 Worsley Braided Interchage and Major Trunk Road; A4, Great West Road, Hounslow - [Golden Jubilee, Public Lighting, 1974]


In 1972, Philips Lighting light the "largest motorway interchange in Europe" with low-pressure sodium source. The interchange, known as "Spaghetti Junction" is in fact situated at Gravelly Hill, outside Birmingham, and is the final link between three of Britain's major motorways, M1, M5 and M6. - [Golden Jubilee, Public Lighting, 1974]


In 1973, Philips Lighting provide high mast SON lighting for the urban motorway into Leeds city centre. - [Golden Jubilee, Public Lighting, 1974]


Also, in 1973, the firm provide lgithing equipment for major floodlighting and street lighting in Central London including County Hall, Fishmongers Hall, Waterloo Bridge, Westminster Bridge, Lambeth Bridge, Vauxhall Bridge, Albert Bridge and Chelsea Bridge. - [Golden Jubilee, Public Lighting, 1974]


In 1974, Philips Lighting introduce three new low pressure sodium lanterns onto the UK market. Ideally suited for motorways and major road installations, the new lanterns are for use with 90W, 135W and 180W low pressure sodium lamps. Outstanding feature of the new lanterns is that they combine both semi-cut-off and cut-off light distribution in one lantern, giving substantial cost and convenience benefits. - [Golden Jubilee, Public Lighting, 1974]




References:
APLE Conference Programme Folkestone 1937
APLE Conference Programme Bournemouth 1938
APLE Conference Programme Glasgow 1939
APLE Conference Programme Glasgow 1945
APLE Conference Programme London 1946
APLE Conference Programme Southport 1947 APLE Conference Programme Eastbourne 1948


External Links:
Grace's Guide